The full-day Pre-Conference Workshops provide participants with the opportunity to develop new skills, learn new ideas, network with colleages, and create new approaches to teaching and learning. The full-day Pre-Conference Workshops will be led by experienced teachers and experts in the field.
When: Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Where: The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center
Comments from Previous Years
|The Power of
in Blended Courses
|Flipping Your Classroom
for Deep Learning
|This was a session that was "spot on" for what I needed. The presenter has me thinking in new ways about reflective practice.||As a science guy, I am always thinking of the best ways to offer meaningful assignments in online classes. As such, this workshop was perfect.||I cannot believe the packet of resources/materials provided. The session provided information that supports what I am doing with flipped instruction. Further, I picked up valuable pointers and ideas for going the next step.|
The full-day Pre-Conference Workshops consist of a morning session and an afternoon session. When participants register they select a morning and an afternoon session to attend (seating is limited).
|8:00-9:00 am||Sign-In & Continental Breakfast|
|9:00-12:00 pm||Session 1: Morning|
|Make It Happen! Creating ePortfolio Implementation Success on Your Campus
• Jennifer M. Brill, Instructional Design & Technology, Virginia Tech
• Samantha J. Blevins-Bohanan, Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning, Radford University
|Strategies to Motivate Students: Applying Research-Based Principles
• Brett Jones, School of Education, Virginia Tech
|Teaching Naked Techniques: A Practical Workshop for Designing Better Classes
• C. Edward Watson, Center for Teaching and Learning, University of Georgia
|Designing Active and Engaging Online or Hybrid Courses Using Research-based Principles of Learning and Instruction
• Krista Terry, Leadership and Educational Studies, Appalachian State University
|1:00-4:00 pm||Session 2: Afternoon|
|Teaching for Learning: Concepts, Strategies, and Tips for Engaging and Motivating Students in the Classroom
• Todd Zakrajsek, Department of Family Medicine, University of North Carolina
|Technology for Learner Engagement
• Miko Nino, TLOS, Virginia Tech
• Dan Yaffe, TLOS, Virginia Tech
|Contemplation in Higher Education: Mindfulness Practices in the Classroom
• Laura Farmer, Leadership, Counseling and Research, Virginia Tech
• Jenna Haynes, Counselor Education, Virginia Tech
|Playing to Learn: How Reacting to the Past Creates Student-Centered Classrooms that Empower Students and Faculty
• Thomas Chase Hagood, Division of Academic Enhancement, University of Georgia
• Naomi J. Norman, Classics, University of Georgia
The registration fee for the full-day Pre-Conference Workshop is $250.00 by January 5, 2016 and $300 afterwards. This fee is payable at time of workshop registration and entitles each participant to
- a contenental breakfast+ (coffee, soda, water, juice, pastries, muffins, 1-2 warm items),
- attend both a morning and an afternoon workshop,
- a buffet lunch, and
- a reception following the workshops.
Please note: There is not a half-day or single workshop option.
Pre-Conference Workshops Registration is Open
** Note: This link will allow you to register for the conference or the workshop.